Men’s suits: shopping tips
A Men’s suits is essential to any man’s wardrobe. Here are the few buying tips that we offer you as well as some details that are better to know before shopping.
Types of suits for men
Made-to-measure: A made-to-measure suit offers the best fit and comfort, but is the most expensive.
- Make an appointment with a reputable tailor.
- Your jacket and your dress pants will be made according to your instructions, down to the smallest detail.
- A well-maintained custom-made suit can last for years.
Ready-to-wear: choose your suit from standard sizes among the countless generic and high-fashion brands offered in men’s clothing boutiques.
- An on-site tailor can make the necessary alterations to adjust your suit to your size.
Ceremonial attire: Certain important events require you to wear formal dress.
- You could buy a tuxedo for a wedding, an important dinner or an awards ceremony for example.
- But you will only wear it a few times in your life. Most of the time, it is more economical to rent an evening dress.
- What’s more, on each of these rare but important occasions, you’ll wear state-of-the-art formal attire.
Features of men’s suits
- Fabrics: Most men’s suits use wool and wool blends, either heavier or lighter, depending on the season.
- Patterns: plain, striped, checked, herringbone, hounds tooth, bird’s eye and nail head effect.
- Confection: single-breasted or double-breasted, two-piece or three-piece, depending on your silhouette and current fashion trends.
- Lining: the fabric inside the suit can be plain or patterned, silk or synthetic fabric.
- Details: two or three button front panels, jacket, single or flap pockets, notched or single lapels and cuffs.
Factors to consider when buying a suit
- Function: Is this a suit that you will wear for work, in the office, during business meetings or for special occasions?
- Versatility: Choose a fit and style that can work with different events or situations.
- Thickness: A spring and summer suit is made of a thinner and lighter fabric than a fall and winter suit.
- Trend: Learn about fashion trends for men that influence lapel shapes, trim details and button choices.
- Dress Shirts: Available in an unlimited choice of colors and patterns, fitted or loose cuts, with button cuffs or French cuffs.
- Belts: Match the finish of the metal buckles to your other metal accessories.
- Shoes: preferably leather. Match the color of your shoes to the color of your belt.
- Ties: Conservative designs are in for the office and for formal wear, but there are no limits when it comes to social events.
- Handkerchiefs: placed in the upper pocket, a handkerchief adds a touch of color and elegance.
Tips for buying a men’s suit
- Choose a classic cut suit in black, navy blue or gray for the city outfit.
- Choose a wool suit for strength, breath ability and a durable look.
- Avoid extreme styles that restrict the use and life of a suit.
- Be ready to invest to buy a quality suit.