The septum piercing has been attracting more and more of our personalities lately. Rihanna, Scarlett Johansson and many others started the trend with a new image, far from the punk and tribal style. Since then, everyone wants their septum piercing as a tattoo. Those who don’t have one want to know if such a piercing is painful or not, if it gets infect or not, and look for the right reasons to take action.
To elucidate the mysteries around a septum piercing, let’s discover together 8 reasons to opt for a septum piercing.
What is a septum piercing?
As the name suggests, the septum piercing is performed above the columella at the front of the nose. It is made on the nasal septum to be more discreet, especially for the rings adapted to your morphology. By placing it like this with a horseshoe type jewel, you can hide it by entering it inside the nose.
A septum piercing can have great significance depending on the culture and the person wearing it. Wearing a bone in the septum was meant to give a fierce appearance. Aborigines used septum piercings to beautify by using a long bone to flatten the nose. Septum rings are especially popular among warrior cultures.
Historically, the age of piercing differs across cultures, ranging as young as nine years old . Most North American tribes regard the ring as a rite of passage after a successful return from a journey of introspection in nature. The septum piercing was use to signify their success and show their rite of passage into adulthood.
Later in history, the piercing of these flesh tunnels became link to rebellious subcultures such as the punk rock movement, is consider a sign of rebellion. But today, practically everyone is following the piercing trend. Celebrities like Lady Gaga, Rihanna and many more are joining the crowd of septum piercers. However, instead of the antlers, bones, and other items use by the tribes that originate them, rings made of nickel-free gold, platinum, silver, or surgical steel are most commonly use . They prefer smaller, less obvious rings to the large rings used by ancient tribes.
These septum rings or piercings may be all the rage right now, but remember that they once belonged to a rich and ancient culture. It was a way of life for them and it is always good to respect this rich history.
Here’s everything you need to know about a septum piercing:
Be aware that the septum piercing does not reach the cartilage of the nose with a professional piercer . For your septum piercing, the soft area at the entrance to the nostrils is pierced with a needle. According to people, this part can be thicker in some than others, but the surgical act is quickly done.
Drilling still requires the skill of the piercer so that the perforation is straight and aesthetic. The professional takes his time for a better result.
Different from piercing on the tongue, piercing the body or piercing a navel or the tragus, the healing of a septum piercing is done after 2 to 3 weeks and it refills between 6 to 8 months.
Is the septum piercing painful?
This question arises quite often when you want to have a body part pierced: lobe, lips or arch. Even for a fake piercing, one wonders if it hurts, the answer is yes and no.
1. Yes, because logically, when you pierce the skin with a needle, it hurts. The installation of a piercing jewel is always unpleasant. So, we will not say the opposite, it is painful a piercing of the nasal septum.
2. No, because indeed, the piercing lasts only a fraction of a second. A drop may fall, but the act is so quick with a gun or a rod that you won’t feel a thing.
Since the piercer is placing a ring or horseshoe piercing in your nostrils, it would be normal for him to tickle your nose. For healing depending on the morphology of the person and the jewelry of the piercing, it lasts about 2 to 3 weeks.
What are the benefits of a septum piercing?
Here are 8 good reasons to take action:
- It allows you to be yourself. The septum piercing is a form of self-expression. Lenny Kravitz and Rihanna show it very well.
- It is less expensive. Depending on your salon, getting your nose pierce is still affordable.
- It’s easy to hide. If you place a horseshoe jewel, it is invisible in a quarter turn.
- You can use them if you want and have a larger piercing. Depending on the look you are wearing, different jewelry for this neo piercing is possible, pendant, ring, spiral and many others.
- It’s easy to clean. Given the nasal position of the piercing, a passage of cotton filled with disinfectant is sufficient.
- Everyone can use it. Fan of the tribal or neo punk look, this neo piercing makes men and women stylish.
- It is not permanent. You can leave it to seal after a few months.
- It is both elegant and trendy. All the personalities adopt it nowadays.
Why shouldn’t you get your septum pierced?
Even if you already have an ear piercing yourself, placing septum jewelry requires the expertise of a professional piercer to prevent the piercing from becoming infectious.
You should know that this soft nasal area is sensitive by its thickness and especially for allergic people who will blow their nose too often. In these cases, the complications can worsen, because the place is not easy to disinfect.
For the aesthetic side, the dexterity of the piercer makes it possible to align your rhinestone jewel in rose gold or zirconium with your nose while avoiding touching the cartilages.
Do septum piercings get infected easily?
Naturally, getting your septum pierced is not prone to infection with the nasal mucous membranes that protect it. The nasal septum is different from the navel, genitals or nipples. Healing is faster by cleaning it with a cotton swab of saline.
Also avoid swimming and playing with your piercing jewelry before it heals.
How to clean a septum piercing?
A combination pack of tea tree oil and Dead Sea salt to keep your septum piercing clean, you should spray it with a quality spray 3-6 times a day throughout the healing process and do two full soaks in sea salt solution (SSS) daily for at least the first few weeks after the piercing. There are two methods for performing your daily soaks in the sea salt solution:
- Gather a handful of clean cotton balls, your post-piercing care spray, and tea tree oil if needed for dry or irritated skin. Soak a cotton ball in aftermarket spray, add a drop of tea tree oil, if desired, and gently press the wet cotton ball against your septum piercing. After about 30 seconds, throw it away and start again with a fresh cotton ball. Continue this process until you have applied saline solution with or without tea tree oil to your septum piercing for a total of five minutes.
- If you want to use a saline solution home for your twice-daily soaks, you will need good quality sea salt (not table salt, which contains iodine) such as Dead Sea sea salt, sterile water and possibly oil (if you need to buy both tea tree oil and sea salt, consider buying our combo pack to save money on high-quality saline ingredients). You can boil tap water for five minutes to sterilize it or buy sterile water. Measure a cup of water and add 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt. Top the cup of SSS with 2-3 drops of tea tree oil, if desired. Once the salt is completely dissolve in the water,
If you need to incorporate an antiseptic piercing spray into your septum piercing aftercare regimen because you have a piercing problem, try a product like X-Press ions Extra Strength Piercing Aftercare Spray or X Antiseptic Pads. -Tattoo Goo piercing studs. These products are design for healing and irritated piercings, making them superior to general antiseptics like hydrogen peroxide. Initially, you should only use an antiseptic rinse or pad once a day, between soaks in the sea salt solution and misting of the skincare spray. (If your piercing problem persists, you can increase to two applications per day. Beyond that, you should explore other remedies for your piercing problem.
How much does septum piercing cost?
On average, you will have your septum piercing between 40 and 90 euros , this price includes the cost of the gold-plated jewel, in titanium, in white gold or in zircon.