Do you know Digital Ocean ? If so, in this article you will still discover more things that you do not know, if not, this article will be a providence for you because you will be happy to be able to choose the best hosting plan present today on the market. This article will also be a Digital Ocean review .
If you already have a website or want to create one, you use or need a hosting space where your wordpress files will be housed, for example if you use this CMS. The concern is that this hosting space is not free even if there are some tools that offer the possibility of hosting your site for free .
Factors for choosing a good web host
Apart from the cost of this hosting, there are also other factors that you should know before deciding to buy a hosting space for your website or blog, these factors are:
- The storage space that your host makes available to you for a given cost.
- The maximum number of monthly or annual visitors allowed for your plan: Many hosts hide this metric so as not to frustrate their customers when buying, but know that it exists and therefore, do not limit yourself to just looking at the annual price of a hosting plan without knowing this little detail, you can create a website and notice that its traffic never goes up for this reason.
- The performance of your host’s services: This is how you will see certain sites that are most often inaccessible because the host is constantly undergoing maintenance. All of this is not good for your website or will not be good for your future SEO rated website.
- The properties of your hosting plan: If you plan to host a lot of files on your website, also choose a hosting plan with sufficient space. This will prevent you from migrating a site with several gigas to another host after you have finished the small storage memory that your host will have offered you.
- The number of sites you can host: With many hosts, this number depends on the plan you choose. And so the more you choose a more expensive plan, the more you increase the number of sites you can host until you reach the last plan (the most expensive) which offers you an unlimited number of sites to host.
All this to tell you that several things come into play for a good choice of a hosting plan according to a given cost.
Thus, the necessity of this article will be to introduce you to DigitalOcean , the best web host that we could find from our experience offering you not only an affordable price but also a better quality of service compared to its competitors.
What is Digital Ocean?
DigitalOcean is a host like so many others that exist but in addition to the services offered by many hosts (such as hosting your site, your email, or renting a physical or virtual dedicated server), DigitalOcéan focuses more on the implementation of VPS (Note that some other hosts offer it but many prefer DigitalOcean, we will see why in the following).
A VPS by definition means in English Virtual Private Server and in French, Server Virtuel Privé .
This means that DigitalOcean rents you one or more virtual servers running on a host server which is a physical server. A physical server can host multiple virtual servers. This process makes it possible to maximize and well manage the resources of the physical server such as its processor, its RAM memory and its storage space, so for a given physical server, we can have many virtual servers with resources that we want their give (The sum of the resources of the private virtual servers must be less than or equal to the resources of the physical server that hosts them).
How much does a VPS cost at Digital Ocean?
Note that the prices are very low compared to the services and resources that Digital Ocean makes available to you, but also compared to some of its competitors offering the same performance.
The lowest price at DigitalOcean is $5/month and the highest is $80/month. The prices increase in relation to the resources that the VPS will possess.
How to Install a VPS at Digital Ocean?
In practice from the point of view of use, a virtual server works like a physical server. A server being also a normal computer but in network (a central node) one can install there an operating system on which we can install our applications. At DigitalOcean, all servers run on Linux. You have the choice between different distributions: Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, …
How to Host more than 10 sites at Digital Ocean at $5 a month?
Judging by the title of this post, I would say that is the question that led you to this article.
After creating your Droplet and installing the CyberPanel on it as the guide that we offer in the previous point shows you. You can access your CyberPanel and host an unlimited number of websites.
- Before adding your sites, be aware that the more sites you have hosted the more they will use the resources of your Droplet and therefore know how to balance things. If you have several sites that have a lot of traffic, you will need to upgrade to a higher plan that offers you more performance.
- Know that your domain names, you will buy them elsewhere. DigitalOcean will only serve you for hosting.
- If you have any questions on this point, ask us in the comment space.
Who can use a VPS and especially a VPS from Digital Ocean?
To use a VPS from Digital Ocean, you need some computer skills but if you don’t have any, in the event of a problem on your server, you will have to read a lot to find a solution.
You should know that if you rent a virtual server from DO, you manage it on your own, you decide what to install on it and what not to install. In the event of a problem, DigitalOcean’s customer service is not the best you can find and that is their big disadvantage.
My best advice is that if you are not very comfortable with the commands of the Linux operating systems, install the CyberPanel application which will allow you to manage everything graphically.
My other advice, when things work, leave them as they are. If you need to have fun or test things out, open another account or you risk losing all your data.
How to transfer an existing website or blog to Digital Ocean
We have already said that DO is only a host and so if you were previously on NameCheap for example, download your WordPress data (If you use it) from your File Manager in the cPanel and migrate them to your CyberPanel on a site that you have already created beforehand and all this after configuring your DNS as shown in this guide above.
But if doing this file transfer seems complicated to you, use the WPvivid Backup plugin that you can download to transfer your site in a few clicks.